Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm keepin' it short and sweet!

I must confess I have a little secret….



When I am stressed I bake and when really in the mood for something sweet I choose Cherry Pie! It’s quick and easy and I can have it hot out of the oven in about 20 mins. Not to mention this ones a cheapie!




Cost: Pie Crust - $2.00
Cherry Filling - $3.00

Total Cost - $5.00, you get about 6 decent sized servings so that’s only $.83 cents per serving!



Currently at the Dollar Tree Store they have a wonderful Cherry Pie Filling, its heavy on the gel base and low on the cherries so to make an average sized pie you will need at least 3 boxes. The box covers vary so sorry no picture. It requires no additional sugar so all you need is a crust and presto chango you have pie.



Ingredients: 3 Boxes of Cherry Pie Filling - Drained, sauce reserved



1 packaged of prepared pie shells or a roll out crust product - I prefer Pillsbury Roll Out $2.00 most places or you can make your own….I make a flaky crust but it’s an acquired skill so I won’t even lie to you it’s easier to buy the ready made stuff.



8 x 8 square glass baking dish - buttered slightly



2 teaspoons Sugar



To begin either unwrap or unroll your room temperature crust and place it in the bottom of the buttered dish.



Spoon the drained cherries into the uncooked shell and fill the shell with the desired amount of gel - me I like my pie a bit drier so I only use 1 cup.



Place the second crust on top, press the crust down over the mixture and fold the sides down making a slightly raised border for your dish, prick your crust with a sharp knife in whatever pattern you like, I chose a simple star for mine. Sprinkle the sugar on top to for a sweet sparkly treat.


Your pie should look like a crusted envelope. Place in a cold oven - This is very very important if you preheat the oven your dish will break - cold in to hot is never a good thing. Place pie in oven at 350’ bake for 20 mins or until crust is nice and brown - timing really does depend on your oven.



This is also a winner for a quick fix desert when company drifts by your palace. Simply add some good French Vanilla Ice Crème and Viola!





I hope you will subscribe or at least check back weekly for a new recipe at Dollar Store Dining!

No comments:

Post a Comment